It’s that time of the month again and you’re in agony. What causes you to suffer from these dreadful cramps every month? Believe it or not, more than 90% of all women have menstrual cramps at some point in their lives and a little more than 50% experience menstrual cramps every month for one or two days either right before or at the onset of their period.
Although menstrual cramps occur more often during the teenage years, some women experience them well into their twenties and beyond. One in ten women experience pain so bad, they’re unable to go about their daily routine for several days each month.
What causes painful menstrual cramps and what can be done to alleviate the pain?
Cramps are caused by contractions of the uterus. Like all other muscles in the body, the uterus contracts on a regular basis and then relaxes. Right around the time of your period, these contractions become stronger and this is what produces the pain and discomfort.
The following natural remedies may help relieve the pain and discomfort of menstrual cramps:
- Regular exercise, such as walking
- Adding additional calcium and zinc to your diet
- The use of certain herbal remedies that have anti-spasmodic properties, including Viburnum prunifolium, Scutellaria spp. and Cimicifuga racemosa
- Soaking in a warm bath that has been prepared with aromatherapy oils (have you tried lavender?)
- Warm compresses or a heating pad, which can be applied to the lower abdomen to ease the pain
- Relaxing and putting your feet up to alleviate stress
- Good, old fashioned chiropractic adjustments
We’re aware that many women who suffer from menstrual cramps also experience frequent back pain. Is there a connection? Both may be related to vertebral subluxation in the lower spine that affects the nerves that serve the female anatomy. It’s been our experience that many women report a decrease in the frequency and severity of their menstrual cramps when they receive regular chiropractic adjustments.
Have you given it a try?