Exercise: Not for the Weak
How many times have you said to yourself, “I really need to start an exercise regimen”? If you are like many folks, probably far more often than you care to admit. Why is it that we find it extremely difficult to start something that we know is good for us? Why do so many of us lack the desire and the determination to get on track?
There are excuses galore – we have made them and we have heard them. “I am far too busy with home and family to exercise.” “I just can’t get into a regular routine. I start out well enough, but fall off the wagon so easily!” “I hate getting up early and I am just too tired at night.” “Gym membership is so expensive – I just can’t afford it!” Excuses, excuses, and even more excuses. Exercise is definitely not for the weak. This is one time you need all the motivation and determination you can muster!
So the question is…just how do we get the motivation to kick start and stay in the exercise game?
• Make a start, even a small one. Walk around the block one night, two blocks the next night, building up time and/or distance until you feel your heart rate is up and a sweat breaks out when you walk.
• Convince yourself that the effort is worthwhile, to yourself and those who love you and want to keep you around for quite a few more years!
• Congratulate yourself on small steps. Exercise 4-5 times the first week and pat yourself on the back for a good start!
• Find novel ways to exercise – use your lunch or break time to take a walk, exercise at your desk or go to a local gym that has a 30-minute workout.
• Get up a half hour earlier and get on the treadmill – you’ll find you have far more energy than ever before.
• Your mental health will improve as well when you make exercise a regular part of your life!
In addition, make sure you are keeping up with your chiropractic care and getting regular adjustments. Exercise helps with stress, and so does chiropractic care as it addresses the three major forms of stress – physical, chemical, and psychological. Make sure you are taking the best care of yourself by living the healthiest lifestyle you can…and eliminate those excuses once and for all