Dangers of DEET and Chemical Insect Repellents:
- The chemical DEET can melt plastic or fishing line.
- A pharmacologist at Duke University discovered that prolonged exposure to DEET may impair cell function in parts of your brain.
- Scientists studying the toxicity of DEET says that DEET is not simply a behavior-modifying chemical but also inhibits the activity of a key central nervous system enzyme, acetycholinesterase, in both insects and mammals.
- Permethrin is another harmful chemical found in many bug sprays. This chemical is a neurotoxin, meaning it can kill brain cells.
- The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has categorized this Permethrin as carcinogenic, capable of causing lung tumors, liver tumors, immune system problems, and chromosomal abnormalities.
Homemade Bug Spray Ingredients
- 30 drops geranium essential oil
- 30 drops citronella essential oil
- 20 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 TBSP vodka or rubbing alcohol
- ½ cup natural witch hazel
- ½ cup water (or vinegar)
Homemade Bug Spray Instructions
- Place essential oils in a glass spray bottle. Add vodka or alcohol and shake well to combine.
- Pour in witch hazel and shake to combine.
- Add ½ tsp vegetable glycerin if using. This is not necessary but helps everything stay combined.
|There are many non-toxic sprays available to buy.
Please read the ingredients before buying!!
AVOID: (all are neurotoxins)
Lancaster Chiropractors who are keeping you connected through chiropractic!
Lancaster – 717-569-5731
Dr Beth Risser